Sunday, March 17, 2013

Day 14

Breakfast today was the usual paleo cereal. I've decided that I don't need the almond meal AND the coconut chips though, so I'll cut that back tomorrow. Looking at calorie totals and nutrition data, it was clear that both are high calorie food items and both are primarily fats, so having both is redundant and I don't need the added calories anymore. Coconut has good fats while almond isn't as good. It's not bad, just middle of the road in terms of good for you fats.  Today's breakfast topped out a little above 800 calories and all I added was a strip of bacon. (And 2 eggs, but I always eat those with it.)

Lunch was leftover no tortilla soup and a little salad made of cabbage slaw, kale, half a mandarin orange and my homemade vinegarette. One more bowl and I should have that soup gone. It's good but who wants to eat on it for a week? Not this girl.

Dinner was a new york strip steak topped with olive oil and garlic with roasted asparagus. My husband chose a ribeye. The kids shared my steak as well and ate their asparagus in addition to the fruit I gave them. My kids will take a steak over chicken any day. They were born with good taste. :). It was good to have asparagus in season again. Winter, out of season asparagus is no contest.

I think my husband is either still dealing with some sugar cravings or I didn't feed him enough tonight because he was wanting a smoothie after dinner. We made a banana, almond butter, and frozen blueberry shake. It was sooo good ( as are most things with a sugary bananas in them) but I'm sure I will pay for it on the scale tomorrow. I did run this morning, but really racked up the calories and carbs today. Way too many carbs in the fruit and I just could have made better food choices today. I forgot how carby tomatoes are at lunch. I'll do better tomorrow.


Two weeks down! We're half way. Actually we've decided that we will be done on the Friday before Easter. We have a party to attend that evening and it's not practical to keep to our whole 30 menu at Easter. So... 12 more days to go. I feel like I've learned some good eating habits that I'll carry with me even after this challenge. It's been a very positive experience so far. I've learned that its a lot easier to fill up on veggies than it is to fill up on more high calorie foods. Veg just satisfies faster than carbs do and they're more nourishing to the body, not to mention less calorie dense. I also learned that if I fill up with the right veggies and proteins, then I'm not tempted as much by treats. I will go back to using cheese and real butter, but I may look to other snacks as cheese six used to be my go- to snack. I'll cut down on the yogurts and beans without much difficulty going forward as well. 






No comments:

Post a Comment