Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Day 2

I slept like a rock last night. That doesn't happen very often, but it was sure welcome!

Breakfast was a learning experience. I attempted to make pumpkin pancakes and ended up making pumpkin cookies. I wasn't patient enough to cook at a lower heat for a longer amount of time, so I tossed them in the oven. We all have our faults.  :)
I added some carrots and beans from the previous night's dinner to round things out. Every meal has to have veggies and protein.


Those pancakes taste slighly better than they look. It's a process.



PUMPKIN PANCAKES
1 egg
1/2C pumpkin
1/4C coconut milk
You can add almond flour if you'd like.
Cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to taste.
I also mixed 1/4C coconut milk with cinnamon and drizzled it over the top, just to have something a little sweet.

Lunch was TUNA SALAD and CUCUMBERS

1 packet of tuna
1-2 spoonfulls of paleo mayo
1 tsp mustard
Mix and serve with Cucumber slices

Nothing special, but I wasn't actually hungry yet. We also have a bit of a time crunch between soccer practice (indoor) and getting my oldest to school at 12:30, so lunch had to be quick.

I also learned yesterday that, while we're supposed to get away from between-meal snacks, I still need an afternoon snack to get me to dinner without battling a serious case of the munchies, so a small lunch would be fine.

My Mom came to visit and brought a whole box of thin mints. I resisted them, although I let the girls have some. I don't actually care much for girl scout cookies :: gasp! :: so it only took a few seconds for the hunger pangs to subside. My mom told me that she was going to bring her awesome home baked chocolate chip cookies (which I loooove!) and I'm so very glad she didn't.


Dinner was CHICKEN WITH BASIL CREAM SAUCE. (plus the required veg.) It was a favorite from our menu last week, so I paleo-fied it to fit the rules of Whole 30, and it was really good! I definitely recommend this one. Just be sure to add plenty of salt. The original recipe has Parmesan in it so you need to replace some of that salty flavor.


2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, pounded thinly
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
3 Tablespoons ghee
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup Chicken Broth - watch the labels
1/4 can of Italian diced tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
1 cup coconut milk
2 Tablespoons freeze dried (or fresh) basil

Sprinkle chicken with seasoned salt.
Place in a pan or casserole dish with edges.
In a small skillet, heat ghee until melted. Then pour it over the chicken.
Toss into the oven at 500* for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in the same skillet, add garlic with a little more ghee or coconut oil and saute for approximately 1 minute.
Add chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally to loosen browned parts from the pan.
Stir in coconut milk and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and stir for one minute.
Reduce heat to low; add basil.
Stir sauce and cook until heated through and thickened.
If it's taking a long time, you can raise the heat a bit, but stir constantly.
Taste to see if it will need salt. Mine needed a lot.
Serve by pouring the sauce over the chicken.


That's all folks! Another pretty easy day. I'm not complaining.  :) yet.
Is anyone just dying to jump into this with me yet? Just checkin'.




No comments:

Post a Comment